In this article, I will guide you through the step-by-step process of uninstalling Meet Now from Windows 10. Meet Now is a feature introduced by Microsoft that allows users to quickly start a video meeting or chat without the need for a separate app or account. While it can be a convenient tool for some, others may find it unnecessary or wish to remove it from their taskbar. Fortunately, there are several methods to uninstall Meet Now, and I will explain each one in detail.
Before we dive into the uninstallation process, let’s first understand what the Meet Now icon is and why it is present in Windows 10’s taskbar. Meet Now is a feature that was introduced in the Windows 10 October 2020 Update. It aims to provide users with a quick and easy way to initiate video meetings or chats without the need for additional software or accounts. The Meet Now icon appears as a small video camera icon in the system tray or taskbar, allowing users to start or join a meeting with just a few clicks.
While the Meet Now feature can be useful for some users, others may find it unnecessary or prefer to use alternative video conferencing solutions. If you fall into the latter category, you may want to remove the Meet Now icon from your taskbar. The following sections will guide you through the different methods to hide or uninstall Meet Now from Windows 10.
Hide Meet Now From Windows 10 Using Settings
If you prefer to keep the Meet Now feature installed but want to hide the icon from your taskbar, you can easily do so using the Windows 10 Settings. Here’s how:
- Right-click on an empty space in your taskbar.
- From the context menu, select “Taskbar settings.”
- In the Taskbar settings window, scroll down to the “Notification area” section.
- Click on “Turn system icons on or off.”
- Locate the “Meet Now” option and toggle it off.
- The Meet Now icon will now be hidden from your taskbar.
By following these steps, you can hide the Meet Now icon without completely uninstalling the feature. If you ever change your mind and want to restore the Meet Now icon, simply follow the same steps but toggle the “Meet Now” option back on.
Uninstall Meet Now From Windows 10 Using PowerShell
If you prefer to completely uninstall the Meet Now feature from your Windows 10 system, you can use PowerShell to do so. PowerShell is a powerful command-line tool that allows you to perform various administrative tasks. Here’s how you can uninstall Meet Now using PowerShell:
- Press the Windows key and type “PowerShell.”
- Right-click on the “Windows PowerShell” result and select “Run as administrator.”
- In the PowerShell window, type the following command and press Enter:
Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost | Remove-AppxPackage
- Wait for the command to execute. Once completed, the Meet Now feature will be uninstalled from your system.
Please note that using PowerShell to uninstall Meet Now will remove the feature for all users on your Windows 10 system. If you have multiple user accounts, they will no longer have access to Meet Now after the uninstallation.
Remove Meet Now From Windows 10 Using Group Policy
Another method to remove Meet Now from Windows 10 is by using the Group Policy Editor. The Group Policy Editor is a powerful tool that allows system administrators to configure various settings and policies on a Windows computer. Here’s how you can remove Meet Now using Group Policy:
- Press the Windows key and type “gpedit.msc.”
- Click on the “Edit group policy” result to open the Group Policy Editor.
- In the Group Policy Editor, navigate to “User Configuration” > “Administrative Templates” > “Start Menu and Taskbar.”
- On the right-hand side, double-click on the “Remove Meet Now icon” policy.
- Select the “Enabled” option and click “Apply” and then “OK.”
- The Meet Now icon will now be removed from the taskbar.
Using Group Policy to remove Meet Now is particularly useful if you want to enforce the removal of the icon across multiple computers in an organizational setting.
Disable Meet Now From Windows 10 Using Registry Editor
The final method to disable Meet Now from Windows 10 involves using the Registry Editor. The Registry Editor is a powerful tool that allows you to make changes to the Windows Registry, which stores important configuration settings for your operating system. Here’s how you can disable Meet Now using the Registry Editor:
- Press the Windows key and type “regedit.”
- Click on the “Registry Editor” result to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key:
- On the right-hand side, double-click on the “SystemTaskBarIconMode” DWORD value.
- Change the value data from “1” to “0” and click “OK.”
- Close the Registry Editor.
After making this change in the Registry Editor, the Meet Now icon will be disabled and will no longer appear in your taskbar.