As technology advances, we often find ourselves transitioning to newer and more sophisticated web browsers. However, there are instances when we still need to use older browsers like Internet Explorer, especially when accessing certain websites or applications that are not compatible with modern browsers. If you’re a Windows 11 user and wondering how to enable and use Internet Explorer, you’re in the right place. In this article, we will explore three different methods to help you run Internet Explorer on your Windows 11 machine.
The first method we will explore is using a control panel trick to run Internet Explorer on Windows 11. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Start menu and search for “Control Panel.”
- Click on the “Control Panel” app to open it.
- In the Control Panel window, navigate to the “Programs” section and click on “Turn Windows features on or off.”
- A new window will open displaying a list of Windows features. Scroll down and locate “Internet Explorer 11.”
- Check the box next to “Internet Explorer 11” and click on “OK.”
- Windows will now enable Internet Explorer, and you can access it by searching for “Internet Explorer” in the Start menu or by locating it in the list of installed applications.
By following these steps, you will be able to run Internet Explorer on your Windows 11 machine and use it to access websites or applications that require compatibility with older browsers.
Create a VBS Shortcut to Open Internet Explorer on Windows 11
Another method to enable and use Internet Explorer on Windows 11 is by creating a VBS shortcut. Here’s how you can do it:
- Right-click on an empty space on your desktop and select “New” from the context menu.
- Click on “Shortcut” to create a new shortcut.
- In the “Create Shortcut” window, type the following command in the location field:
- Click on “Next” and give your shortcut a name, such as “Internet Explorer.”
- Click on “Finish” to create the shortcut on your desktop.
- Now, whenever you want to open Internet Explorer, simply double-click on the VBS shortcut you created.
This method provides a quick and convenient way to access Internet Explorer on your Windows 11 machine without having to go through the Control Panel.
Enable IE Mode in Edge to Use Internet Explorer on Windows 11
The final method we will discuss is enabling IE Mode in Microsoft Edge. Windows 11 comes with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, and it provides an IE mode that allows you to use Internet Explorer within the Edge browser. Here’s how you can enable IE Mode:
- Open Microsoft Edge on your Windows 11 machine.
- Click on the three-dot menu icon located at the top right corner of the browser window.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Settings.”
- In the Settings menu, click on “Default browser” in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down to the “Internet Explorer compatibility” section and toggle the switch to enable IE Mode.
- Once enabled, you can access Internet Explorer by clicking on the “…” menu icon again and selecting “Open with Internet Explorer.”
Enabling IE Mode in Microsoft Edge provides a seamless experience where you can access websites or applications that require Internet Explorer without the need to switch to a different browser.