Setting a custom ringtone on your iPhone can be a fun way to personalize your device and make it stand out from the crowd. However, many people believe that creating a custom ringtone requires using iTunes or a computer. In this guide, I will show you how to set any song as an iPhone ringtone without the need for iTunes or a PC. With a few simple steps, you can have your favorite song playing every time someone calls you.
Before we dive into the process of setting any song as an iPhone ringtone, there are a few pre-requisites that you need to have in place:
- An iPhone: Obviously, you’ll need an iPhone to follow this guide. This method works on all iPhone models running iOS 13 or later.
- GarageBand App: GarageBand is a powerful music creation app available for free on the App Store. Make sure you have it installed on your iPhone before proceeding.
- A Song: Choose the song you want to set as your ringtone. It can be any song stored on your iPhone, whether it’s a popular hit or a personal favorite.
With these pre-requisites in order, let’s move on to the process of creating a custom ringtone on your iPhone.
Create a Custom Ringtone on Your iPhone
- Open GarageBand: Launch the GarageBand app on your iPhone. If it’s your first time using the app, you may need to go through a brief tutorial before getting started.
- Choose a Song: Once you’re in the app, tap on the “+” button to create a new project. From the options presented, select “Audio Recorder” and then tap on the “Tracks View” button at the top right corner of the screen. This will take you to the track selection screen.
- Import the Song: On the track selection screen, tap on the “Loop Browser” button at the top right corner. This will open the loop library. From here, you can choose to import a song from your music library, iCloud Drive, or other sources. Locate the song you want to use as your ringtone and tap on it to import it into GarageBand.
- Trim the Song: Once the song is imported, it will appear as a waveform on the track view. To create a ringtone, you’ll need to trim the song to a maximum length of 30 seconds. Tap and drag the yellow handles on either end of the waveform to select the desired portion of the song. Make sure it’s no longer than 30 seconds.
- Save the Ringtone: After trimming the song, tap on the downward arrow icon at the top left corner of the screen. This will open a menu with various options. Tap on “My Songs” to save the ringtone to your GarageBand library.
- Export the Ringtone: Once the ringtone is saved, tap on the “Select” button at the top right corner of the screen. From the options presented, select the ringtone you just created. Next, tap on the share icon at the top left corner and choose “Ringtone” from the share menu. This will export the ringtone to your iPhone’s settings.
Set a Custom Ringtone on Your iPhone
Now that you have created a custom ringtone using GarageBand, it’s time to set it as your iPhone ringtone. Here’s how:
- Open Settings: Go to the home screen of your iPhone and tap on the “Settings” app to open it.
- Select Sounds & Haptics: In the Settings menu, scroll down and tap on “Sounds & Haptics.”
- Choose Ringtone: On the Sounds & Haptics screen, tap on “Ringtone” to access the ringtone selection menu.
- Find Your Custom Ringtone: Scroll through the list of available ringtones until you find the one you created using GarageBand. It should have the same name as the song you imported.
- Set as Default Ringtone: Tap on the name of your custom ringtone to set it as the default ringtone for all incoming calls on your iPhone.
- Assign to Contacts: If you want to assign your custom ringtone to specific contacts, you can do so by going back to the contact list, selecting a contact, and tapping on “Ringtone” to choose your custom ringtone.
Congratulations! You have successfully set a custom song as your iPhone ringtone without the need for iTunes or a PC. Enjoy hearing your favorite tune every time your phone rings!