The Windows 11 operating system brings a fresh and modern look to the familiar Windows interface. However, one aspect that has changed is the default position of the taskbar, which is now centered at the bottom of the screen. If you prefer a different location for your taskbar, such as the top or side of the screen, you’ll be happy to know that it’s possible to customize its placement. In this article, we will explore three methods to move the taskbar to the top or side on Windows 11.
One way to move the taskbar to the top on Windows 11 is by using a third-party tool called ExplorerPatcher. This tool modifies the system files of Windows 11 to allow for customization options that are not available by default. Here’s how you can use ExplorerPatcher to move the taskbar to the top:
- Download and install ExplorerPatcher: Start by downloading ExplorerPatcher from a trusted source. Once the download is complete, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the tool.
- Launch ExplorerPatcher: After installation, launch ExplorerPatcher. You may need to grant administrative privileges to the tool to make changes to the system files.
- Select the “Taskbar” option: In the main interface of ExplorerPatcher, you will find various customization options. Look for the “Taskbar” option and select it.
- Choose the top position: Within the “Taskbar” section, you will see an option to choose the position of the taskbar. Select the “Top” option to move the taskbar to the top of the screen.
- Apply the changes: Once you have selected the desired position, click on the “Apply” button to apply the changes. You may need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Move Taskbar Icons to the Left Side on Windows 11
If you prefer to keep your taskbar at the bottom but want to move the taskbar icons to the left side on Windows 11, you can easily do so using the built-in customization options. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the taskbar: Start by right-clicking on an empty space on the taskbar. This will open a context menu with various options.
- Select “Taskbar settings”: From the context menu, select the “Taskbar settings” option. This will open the taskbar settings window.
- Scroll down to the “Taskbar behaviors” section: In the taskbar settings window, scroll down until you find the “Taskbar behaviors” section.
- Toggle on “Taskbar corner icon alignment”: Within the “Taskbar behaviors” section, you will find an option called “Taskbar corner icon alignment.” Toggle this option on to move the taskbar icons to the left side.
- Customize the taskbar: Once you have enabled “Taskbar corner icon alignment,” you can further customize the taskbar by adjusting its size, hiding it in tablet mode, or showing badges on taskbar icons.
Move the Windows 11 Taskbar to the Top Using Registry
Another method to move the Windows 11 taskbar to the top is by making changes to the Windows Registry. The Registry is a database that stores configuration settings for Windows and its applications. Here’s how you can use the Registry to move the taskbar to the top:
- Open the Registry Editor: Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box. Type “regedit” and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the taskbar settings: In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3.
- Backup the StuckRects3 key: Before making any changes, it’s always a good idea to back up the Registry key you are about to modify. Right-click on the “StuckRects3” key and select “Export” to create a backup.
- Modify the settings: Double-click on the “Settings” value within the “StuckRects3” key. This will open a binary editor.
- Change the position value: Within the binary editor, locate the 3rd and 4th hexadecimal values and change them to “03” to move the taskbar to the top. Click OK to save the changes.
- Restart your computer: After modifying the Registry, restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Remember, modifying the Windows Registry can be risky if not done correctly. It’s always recommended to create a backup and proceed with caution.