As an Android user, you might have come across situations where you wanted to extract the APK file of an app without having to root your device. Whether it’s for the purpose of sharing an app with a friend, backing up an older version, or simply exploring the contents of the app, extracting the APK file without rooting your device is a valuable skill to have. In this article, I will guide you through three different methods to extract APK files from Android apps without the need for rooting your device.
One of the simplest ways to extract the APK file of an Android app without rooting your device is by using an advanced file explorer. These file explorers provide the ability to access the app’s installation directory and copy the APK file to a different location on your device. By following the steps below, you can easily extract the APK file using this method.
- Download an Advanced File Explorer: Start by downloading and installing a reputable advanced file explorer app from the Google Play Store. Some popular options include ES File Explorer, Solid Explorer, or FX File Explorer.
- Navigate to the App’s Installation Directory: Open the advanced file explorer and navigate to the directory where the app is installed. This is typically located in the “data” or “obb” folder on your device.
- Copy the APK File: Once you have located the app’s installation directory, look for the APK file within the folder. Copy the APK file and paste it into a different directory on your device to extract it.
By following these simple steps, you can easily extract the APK file of an Android app without needing to root your device. This method is user-friendly and does not require any technical expertise.
Method 2: Download the APK Extractor App
Another convenient method to extract APK files from Android apps without rooting your device is by using a dedicated APK extractor app. These apps are designed to quickly and efficiently extract the APK file of any installed app on your device. Follow the steps below to extract APK files using this method.
- Download an APK Extractor App: Start by downloading and installing a reputable APK extractor app from the Google Play Store. Some popular options include APK Extractor, App Backup & Share Pro, or APK Share & Backup.
- Select the App to Extract: Open the APK extractor app and select the app from which you want to extract the APK file. The app will display a list of all installed apps on your device.
- Extract the APK File: Once you have selected the app, the APK extractor app will provide an option to extract the APK file. Simply tap on the extract button, and the APK file will be saved to a location on your device.
Using an APK extractor app is a quick and hassle-free way to extract APK files from Android apps without the need for rooting your device. This method is suitable for users who prefer a straightforward and efficient approach.
Method 3: Extracting APK Using ADB
The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a versatile command-line tool that allows you to interact with your Android device from a computer. By using ADB, you can extract the APK file of any installed app on your device without requiring root access. Follow the steps below to extract APK files using ADB.
- Enable USB Debugging: Firstly, you need to enable USB debugging on your Android device. To do this, go to the “Developer options” in your device’s settings and enable the “USB debugging” option.
- Connect Your Device to the Computer: Connect your Android device to your computer using a USB cable. Make sure that the device is recognized by the computer and that the necessary drivers are installed.
- Use ADB to Extract the APK File: Open a command prompt or terminal on your computer and navigate to the directory where the ADB tool is located. Then, enter the following command:
adb shell pm path <package-name>. Replace
<package-name>with the package name of the app you want to extract. The command will return the path of the APK file. Use the following command to pull the APK file to your computer:
adb pull <apk-path>. Replace
<apk-path>with the path of the APK file obtained from the previous command.
Using ADB to extract APK files provides a powerful and flexible method to extract APK files from Android apps without the need for rooting your device. This method is suitable for users who are comfortable with using command-line tools and want to have more control over the extraction process.