Windows 11 is the latest operating system from Microsoft, boasting a sleek and modern interface. While the default settings in Windows 11 work well for most users, there are certain preferences that you may want to customize to suit your needs. One such preference is the default download location. By default, Windows 11 saves all downloaded files to the “Downloads” folder located in your user profile. However, you may want to change this location to a different drive or folder on your computer. In this article, I will guide you through the process of changing the default download location in Windows 11.
Before we delve into the process of changing the default download location, let’s first understand where the default downloads folder is located in Windows 11. By default, Windows 11 saves all downloaded files to the “Downloads” folder, which is located within your user profile. This folder is typically found at the following path:
The “YourUsername” part of the path will be replaced with your actual username. This default location is convenient for most users as it allows easy access to downloaded files. However, if you have a different drive or folder that you prefer to use for storing your downloads, you can change the default location in just a few simple steps.
Set Custom Location for Downloads in Windows 11
To set a custom location for your downloads in Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the gear icon, or by pressing “Windows key + I” on your keyboard.
- In the Settings app, click on the “System” category.
- In the left sidebar, click on “Storage”.
- On the right side of the Storage settings, click on the “Change where new content is saved” option.
- Scroll down to the “New apps will save to” section and click on the dropdown menu.
- From the dropdown menu, select the drive or folder where you want your downloads to be saved.
- Once you have selected the desired location, close the Settings app.
Congratulations! You have successfully changed the default download location in Windows 11. From now on, all your downloaded files will be saved to the new location you specified.
Change Downloads Location For Microsoft Store Apps
If you use Microsoft Store apps, such as Microsoft Edge or Microsoft Office, you may notice that they have a separate default download location. To change the download location for Microsoft Store apps, follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store app by clicking on the Start menu and searching for “Microsoft Store”.
- In the Microsoft Store app, click on the three-dot menu icon in the top-right corner and select “Settings”.
- In the Settings menu, scroll down to the “Downloads” section.
- Click on the “Change” button next to the “Change where new content is saved” option.
- Select the drive or folder where you want your Microsoft Store app downloads to be saved.
- Click on the “Apply” button to save the changes.
Now, any downloads made through Microsoft Store apps will be saved to the new location you specified.