Windows 11, the latest operating system from Microsoft, comes with a range of new features and improvements. One of these features is the ability to easily adjust the brightness of your screen. Whether you want to make your screen brighter for better visibility or dim it to reduce eye strain, Windows 11 provides multiple methods to change the brightness settings. In this guide, I will walk you through the different ways to adjust the brightness in Windows 11, from quick settings to dedicated keys. So, let’s get started!
Windows 11 introduces a new way to access quick settings, making it convenient to change various system settings, including brightness. To change the brightness from quick settings, follow these steps:
- Click on the Notifications icon located on the taskbar in the bottom right corner of your screen. This will open the quick settings panel.
- In the quick settings panel, you will see a Brightness slider. Drag the slider left or right to decrease or increase the brightness, respectively.
- As you adjust the slider, the brightness of your screen will change in real-time, allowing you to find the perfect brightness level for your needs.
- Once you have set the desired brightness, simply close the quick settings panel, and your new brightness settings will be applied.
Changing the brightness from quick settings is a quick and hassle-free method, especially if you want to make temporary adjustments to the brightness without diving into the Windows settings.
Change Brightness in Windows 11 from Windows Settings
If you prefer a more comprehensive control over the brightness settings, Windows 11 provides the option to change the brightness from the Windows Settings app. Here’s how:
- Open the Start menu by clicking on the Windows icon located on the taskbar or pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Click on the Settings icon, which resembles a gear. This will open the Windows Settings app.
- In the Windows Settings app, click on System from the left-hand sidebar.
- Under the Display section, you will find the Brightness & color settings. Click on it to access the brightness settings.
- On the right-hand side, you will see a Brightness slider. Drag the slider left or right to decrease or increase the brightness, respectively.
- As you adjust the slider, the brightness of your screen will change accordingly, allowing you to visually determine the ideal brightness level.
- Once you are satisfied with the new brightness level, simply close the Windows Settings app, and your changes will be applied.
Changing the brightness from Windows Settings gives you more fine-grained control over the brightness settings, making it suitable for those who want to personalize their screen’s brightness to their preference.
Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 11 with Dedicated Keys
Many laptops and monitors come with dedicated keys or buttons that allow you to adjust the brightness directly without going through any software settings. These dedicated keys often resemble a sun icon and are usually located on the top row of your laptop’s keyboard or on the front panel of your monitor. To adjust the brightness using dedicated keys, follow these steps:
- Locate the dedicated brightness keys on your laptop keyboard or monitor. These keys are typically labeled with a sun icon, and there are usually two of them, one for decreasing brightness and the other for increasing brightness.
- Press the brightness increase key to raise the brightness level. Each press will increment the brightness by a certain amount, allowing you to gradually increase the brightness to your liking.
- If you want to decrease the brightness, press the brightness decrease key. Similar to the increase key, each press will decrease the brightness by a certain amount.
- Keep pressing the dedicated keys until you reach the desired brightness level. By using dedicated keys, you can quickly adjust the brightness without having to navigate through any menus or settings.
Brightness Slider Missing / Brightness Not Working in Windows 11? Fix Here!
While changing the brightness in Windows 11 is usually a straightforward process, there may be instances where you encounter issues such as a missing brightness slider or brightness settings not working. If you face any of these problems, don’t worry, as there are potential solutions to fix them. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Update Display Drivers: Outdated or incompatible display drivers can sometimes cause issues with brightness controls. Visit the website of your computer or display manufacturer and download the latest display drivers for your specific model.
- Adjust Power Plan Settings: Some power plans in Windows 11 may have restrictions on brightness adjustments. Go to the Windows Settings app, click on System, then Power & sleep, and finally Additional power settings. Select your active power plan and click on Change plan settings. From here, you can adjust the brightness settings to your preference.
- Run Display Troubleshooter: Windows 11 includes a built-in display troubleshooter that can automatically detect and fix common display-related issues. Open the Windows Settings app, click on System, then Troubleshoot, and finally Additional troubleshooters. Locate the Display troubleshooter and run it to see if it can resolve the brightness problem.
By following these troubleshooting steps, you should be able to fix any issues related to brightness controls in Windows 11 and enjoy a seamless experience with adjusting your screen’s brightness.